- Evening, Weekend & Online Programs
- ALUMNI RELATIONS
- GIVING TO LAKELAND
- ABOUT LAKELAND
Lakeland traces its beginnings to German immigrants who, fleeing from religious controversy in Europe, traveled to North America and eventually to the Sheboygan area where they settled in 1847. Even as they struggled for food and shelter, these pioneers thought in terms of higher education for their children.
In 1862, they built Missionshaus (Mission House), a combined academy-college-seminary. The school provided training in the liberal arts followed by a traditional seminary curriculum, as most of the early students were destined to become ministers. As the needs of its students changed, Mission House gradually broadened its purpose. By the end of the century, enrollment was no longer limited to pre-theological students and the college had developed strong programs of study in a wider number of disciplines. A talented, scholarly faculty set high standards for the college early in its existence; standards which have been maintained to this day. Known simply as Mission House for 95 years, the college adopted the name Lakeland in 1956 and the seminary moved to Minneapolis/St. Paul in 1962 to become United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities. The era of Mission House had ended, but Lakeland became heir to its campus, tradition and educational mission.
This is a chronological look at the history of Lakeland College, from its humble beginnings as Mission House to today. To use, slide the scroll bar to move the timeline and click on individual images for more information about the events they represent. (Timeline will open in new window)