English Language Institute
Lakeland’s English Language Institute (ELI) is a comprehensive and intensive program to help international students learn English, transition to American life, and succeed in the USA.
The sessions are:
- Session 1: August 26 – October 13, 2015
- Session 2: October 19 – December 4, 2015
- Session 3: January 6 – February 23, 2016
- Session 4: March 14 – April 29, 2016
Estimated costs (7 weeks)
- Tuition - $3,130
- Room and board - $2,065
- Books/health insurance/ fees - $1,058
- Total - $6,253
Features of Lakeland's ELI program include:
- Students accepted at all levels — beginning to advanced.
- Earn academic credit that counts toward graduation.
- Some students may take a combination of ELI classes and academic classes.
- Conversation Partner program.
- ELI students ARE Lakeland College students. ELI students can participate in all of the clubs and activities available to Lakeland students.
- 18-20 class hours per week
- Listening, speaking, grammar, reading, writing, TOEFL
Frequently Asked Questions
The English Language Institute is a special program to help students learn English. The program helps prepare students to enter Lakeland’s academic major programs. The program will help you succeed as a student in the United States.
You will take 18-20 class hours of English every week. You will have classes in reading, writing, grammar, listening, speaking and TOEFL preparation.
The classes are small, friendly and interesting. The classes will help you make fast progress in English. Because the classes are small, you will have many opportunities to practice your speaking.
The ELI teachers are well-trained, experienced and very friendly. Most of our teachers have spent a significant amount of time living and working abroad. All of our teachers love working with people from many different countries. The teachers understand your goals and will do everything they can to help you reach those goals.
Lakeland College is a fully-accredited four-year college offering 35 undergraduate majors, 28 undergraduate minors and 3 graduate programs. Lakeland is located in a safe and scenic rural setting near Lake Michigan in Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, in the upper Midwest region of the United States. It is within an hour of Wisconsin’s largest cities. Check out where we are on the map below.
Beautiful and friendly. Lakeland is located in a clean, safe and peaceful environment that includes many trees, ponds and even its own forest! The campus includes a library, a campus center, a coffee shop, pub, fitness center and many other facilities to make your life in the United States comfortable and enjoyable. As a small school, you will always be able to see someone you know.
- On-campus housing and meals
- Academic advising from the ELI staff
- Shuttle service that provides transportation to stores, banks, doctors, restaurants and other local places
- Health Services
- Tutors who can help students with writing and other assignments
Some of the popular activities our students have participated in include:
- The Global Student Association
- The Badminton Club
- Habitat for Humanity
- Basketball, soccer, volleyball and other sports
- Theatrical performances on campus
- Concerts by nationally and internationally-known performers
- Trips to amusement parks, professional sports and performances in nearby cities
- Yoga classes
- Exercising in the fitness center
- Exploring off campus: Lakeland is located 1 hour from Milwaukee and Green Bay and 2.5 hours from Chicago.