Computers have become such an essential part of our lives that most of us no longer think about them. We expect that they will be there – streamlining our workplace, accessing our information and providing our entertainment. That’s where computer science graduates come in: they create and maintain computer and information technologies so the rest of us can live better lives.
The computer science major enables students to position themselves “inside” the already-accomplished computer revolution. Majors are presented with a practical background in programming and data management, as well as the skills that will allow them to devise and implement computer solutions to real-world problems.
At the upper levels of coursework, students use electives to guide and focus their own studies, preparing themselves for careers in applications programming, information technology and systems management.
Computer Science Major (45 - 46 semester hours)
All courses listed are 3 semester hours unless otherwise indicated.
- CPS 200 Programming I
- CPS 210 Database Basics
- CPS 212 Programming II
- CPS 362 Introduction to Data Structures
- CPS 440 Database Management
- CPS 445 Systems Analysis and Design (Writing Intensive)
- MAT 250 Discrete Mathematics
- 8 additional courses from the following, six of which must be computer science (CPS)
- CPS 221 COBOL Programming
- CPS 250 Information Security and Forensics I
- CPS 280 Special Topics in Computer Science
- CPS 313 Advanced Programming
- CPS 315 Object-Oriented Programming I
- CPS 316 Object-Oriented Programming II
- CPS 320 Computer Hardware
- CPS 325 Networking and Telecommunications
- CPS 340 Visual Basic
- CPS 420 Operating Systems
- CPS 450 Information Security and Forensics II
- CPS 480 Special Topics in Computer Science
- CPS 490 Independent Study in Computer Science
- MAT 370 Numerical Analysis
- A Foreign Language Course (4 semester hours)
The Computer Science Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree is currently offered at all of Lakeland College Centers, and through Lakeland College Online™. Most courses are also offered BlendEd®.
- Sheboygan Center
- Milwaukee Center
- Madison Center
- Green Bay Center
- Fox Cities Center
- Central Wisconsin Center
- Chippewa Valley Center
- Lakeland College Online